Saturday 30 April 2016

Psychology Around the Net: April 30, 2016

lipstick

What. A. Stressful. Week.

At the beginning of April, I took on a work project with an end-of-the-month deadline and, although a couple of weeks into the month I realized it was going to take plenty of frozen dinners and a few extra weekends, I decided to plunge on rather than talk about re-negotiating the deadline.

Generally, deadlines don’t freak me out. I am one of those people who works well (probably best) under pressure. However, this particular project is important to me for a variety of reasons and so, yeah — this time, the deadline is freaking me out.

According to Lifehacker’s How Can I Make My Deadlines Less Stressful?, it can be helpful to redefine deadlines as time allocations. So, that’s what I did. I looked at what I have left to do, how much time I have to do it, and determined how much time I can dedicate to each task to not only make sure it’s properly completed, but also meets the deadline.

I’m not saying my schedule is foolproof, but I definitely feel like I took back control…for now.

So, as you read on about a makeup tutorial shines light on depression, how one intensive care nurse views death and anxiety, and the new happiness center at Harvard…know that I’m somewhere out here, click-clacking away to meet my deadline!

Vlogger Shines a Light on Depression with an Unexpected Makeup Tutorial: Video blogger Amy Geliebter has released a makeup tutorial with in-your-face (pun…intended, I guess) statements about what it’s like living with, managing, and sometimes outright battling depression. Definitely worth a watch.

Risks of Harm From Spanking Confirmed by Analysis of 5 Decades of Research: This month’s Journal of Family Psychology features the meta-analysis of five decades worth of research on spanking and how, the more children are spanked, “the more likely they are to defy their parents and to experience increased anti-social behavior, aggression, mental health problems and cognitive difficulties.”

Talking Death and Existential Anxiety with an ICU Nurse: “It’s weird because on the one hand, you become inured to it, death is just another pain in the ass thing you deal with at work. You bury it in your brain — but then it pops up at random in your daily life. I’ll drop my cell phone and be like, ‘Oh ****, I have multiple sclerosis, or ALS.'”

Psychologists Reveal One Of The Best Ways To Boost Your Mood: Feeling blue? Forget about trying to lift your spirits with retail therapy, comfort foods, or an outing with friends. Actually, forget about doing anything for yourself, at all.

Hospitals Test Putting Psychiatrists on Medical Wards: Traditionally, hospitals rely on consulting psychiatrists’ when patients experience a crisis and the situation becomes unmanageable; however, some leading hospitals now are bringing in psychiatrists and other mental health professionals to medical units earlier on, as studies suggest this can help both improve care and reduce the time the patient’s need to remain in the hospital.

Harvard University Is Launching a New Center to Study the Connection Between Happiness and Health: To the tune of $21 million, the new center (officially called the Lee Kum Sheung Center for Health and Happiness) and its researchers are going to “see if the old adage that happiness makes you healthier is true.”



from World of Psychology http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2016/04/30/psychology-around-the-net-april-30-2016/

No comments:

Post a Comment